Thanks to new technology and faster, more powerful performance, ironing and steaming has become a breeze. Whether you want a professional-grade steamer or a simple iron that gets the job done, there’s something out there for everyone. Find out which is best for you with our easy buying guide below.
What to Look for in Irons and Steamers
- Consider whether an iron or a garment steamer is better suited to your laundry needs. While a traditional steam iron is more compact, a garment steamer glides softly against fabric, and can be used on a wider variety of items, including table cloths, bed linen and pillows.
- Want something a little stronger that can tackle those mounds of laundry at once? Steam generators have a larger water reservoir than a traditional iron and produce greater volumes of steam soon after they’re turned on.
- If you plan on buying a traditional iron, consider the type of soleplate it has, which helps to reduce friction and make ironing much quicker. Aluminium is a great conductor of heat, while palladium and non-stick soleplates glide much more smoothly across fabric. Stainless-steel is also hard-wearing, while ceramic is durable and easy to clean.
- Look carefully at an iron’s steam features. Full-motion steam works best with more delicate materials, as well as suits and dresses. Stubborn creases can be removed with fixed steam, while irons with a water spray (or tilt) feature can help eliminate much deeper creases.
- The larger the water capacity, the longer you can keep ironing before needing to refill. But while traditional irons are filled up at the top, some garment steamers have a detachable water tank convenient for those who don’t want to keep lugging their iron to the sink each time.
- Irons and steamers now come with an abundance of features to make the job much easier. Some irons include anti-drip systems to avoid water stains, have auto-cleaning functions, narrow tips to reach those awkward places, and automatic shut-off if it’s left unattended. Steamers can feature fabric brushes for heavier garments and steam bonnets for more fragile items, along with fragrance diffusion. Some models can even kill up to 99.9% of germs.
Time to smooth out those creases! Head to your nearest Myer store to check out the latest irons and steamers from all your favourite brands. Short on time but can’t wait for the postman? Order online, select Click and Collect and pick up your purchase at your nearest Myer.