Setting a beautiful table ready to host a meal for your loved ones is always a satisfying feeling. By matching cutlery with your dinnerware, you create a sleeker and more sophisticated vibe, which adds to the dining experience. Buying boxed cutlery is not a common purchase, so find beautiful pieces that are designed to last. Here are a few quick tips to find the right set for you.
How to Cut Through That Cutlery Confusion
- How many knives and forks do you need? It’s always better to buy a little extra for those larger gatherings. Most basic boxed cutlery sets can range between 16-24 pieces, including dinner and entrée knives and forks, as well as dessert spoons, soup spoons and teaspoons. Some larger sets have up to 88 pieces!
- Want more choice? Enjoy more than one set, so you can switch your everyday cutlery out according to the occasion, or if you need to cater for extra guests.
- Your cutlery should feel comfortable to hold and to eat with – not too heavy, not too light! Each size and shape offer something different.
- Both stainless steel and sterling silver are tough, durable and have antibacterial properties. They’re also low maintenance, with stainless steel able to resist oxidation at high levels.
- If you plan on buying stainless steel cutlery, check the chromium and nickel percentage, with 18/10 being the highest quality. This will ensure that cutlery retains its lustre.
- Pay attention to the cut and polish of your cutlery. Check the inside of the edges of your fork to make sure they’re not rough, and look for a smooth reflection in the bowl of your spoon. The better the quality, the longer your cutlery will last.
- Use cutlery to dress up dinnerware. Style glossy silver with a matte black plate for an ultra-modern look or elegant gold with soft neutral tones.
- A knife and fork set can also make for a wonderful housewarming or anniversary gift, or a present for a couple about to move into their first home. It’s stylish, practical and something that will serve them well for many years to come.
Set the table with new cutlery. Head to your nearest Myer store to check out the latest in boxed cutlery and other dinnerware. Short on time but can’t wait for the postman? Order online, select Click and Collect and pick up your purchase at your nearest Myer.